Monday 31 August 2015

{Selvage Along} Selvage Pin Cushion

A couple of months ago, my friends Jess (Quilty Habit) and Renee (Quilts of a Feather) asked me if I'd like to contribute a post to their Selvage Along and I instantly said yes. These two girls are some of my best quilty friends (and I was so excited to spend time with them at QuiltCon this year!!), so it's lovely to be part of their Selvage Along! It took me ages to decide what project to make with my selvages, but I eventually decided to make something I needed - a new pin cushion!




This was such a quick and simple finish. I cut a scrap of batting to the size I wanted the pin cushion to be (about 8" square), chose a fussy cut square for the centre and then simply added selvages around the edge, QAYG log cabin style.


Once I'd covered the batting with selvages, I simply cut a square of fabric the same size, sewed them right sides together and left a small space (about 3") to turn it right side out. A stuffed a bit of polyfill inside, hand stitched it closed and voila! A pretty little pin cushion!

I was going to do a step by step tutorial for this one, but I've managed to get the cold my kids have had for the last couple of weeks (complete with fevers and all over body aches) so I'll leave that for another day if anyone is interested ;o) For now, I'm crawling back onto the sofa to watch more movies with the illness sharing children...

xx Jess

12 comments:

Vera said...

Cute little bits :) Those birds are fun!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

So sweet! I hope you feel better soon xx

Marly said...

Fun pincushion with the soap "wrapper" in the middle.

Benta AtSLIKstitches said...

Got to love selvedge projects! Hope you feel better soon x

Yvonne from Quilting Jetgirl said...

Oh my goodness, feel better soon, Jess! xx The pin cushion looks great. :)

Renee said...

The log cabin layout makes this little pin cushion unique! Most of the selvage projects I see are just lines of selvages. Thanks for contributing to the Selvage Along! I hope you and your family are feeling better soon!

Jessica said...

This is beautiful!! I love the selvages you chose (they ARE precious, aren't they?) Hope you all feel better soon! :(

Jenn @ A Quarter Inch from the Edge said...

Lovely little pincushion! I find that small selvage projects are some of the most satisfying. It doesn't take one years and years to collect enough selvage to make them! Hope you feel better soon! :)

Lisa J. said...

I think I'm fighting the same cold right now and I fly on a plane in two days. Oh well. I've never made anything with selvedges but I just might make a pincushion like this one.

Chris Dodsley @made by ChrissieD said...

Loving the fussy cut centre, hope you're all much better soon - Chris :D

leanne said...

so cute and such a quick and easy way to use selvages! might have to make a few too :) hope you feel better soon !

JimsQueenie said...

I just loved this "pillow" you made. I have never seen a "pillow" made of selvedges close up before and I love, love, loved it. Then I reread what you wrote about your project and it mentioned "pins". I thought, "why would anyone want to sit or lay a head on pins"? Slow me, I figured out this was not a "pillow" but a "pin cushion". Didn't make any difference to me, but I would have loved both!! lol

If you need my recent e-mail address it is: csadrbls82@hotmail.com