Wednesday 3 December 2014

Free Motion QAL - Feathers

Welcome to the final FMQ tutorial in the Free Motion QAL! This week I'm demonstrating how I quilt feathers. Feathers are fun and fast, and fill spaces on your quilt really quickly so they are a great addition to your FMQ arsenal. You can check out my video here. 

 As always I welcome your feedback - and I've set the camera at a wider angle for this one so I'm especially interested to hear your thoughts on how useful it is. I've had several requests for a video showing my quilting set up, so I hope to do that early next year.



I would like to apologise for the very sporadic nature of this QAL - I have learnt that I shouldn't commit to these things and have a set time line, as I seem unable to stick to them. So many things have come up over the time I've been running this QAL and it's meant I haven't stuck to my original schedule at all. I know many of you aren't phased by the relaxed pace but if it's annoyed you I am very sorry.

I will be back next week with some ideas of how you could tackle the negative space on this quilt, so that if you're planning on finishing as a gift before the end of the year you'll have time to get it done. The final linky party won't be until the end of January though, so you have plenty of time to get quilting!


xx Jess



7 comments:

Lisa J. said...

Thanks Jess, for all your instructions. I've fallen hopelessly behind so I'm glad the final linky is at the end of January....I should be able to get it done by then!

Sue said...

Hi Jess. I'm not participating in your QAL but I am taking ample notes for the future... Anyway, I am wondering if in next week's post or sometime in the future you would deal with how you decide which designs to use where. I love the way you combine different designs seemingly within the one area and wonder (a) how you decide which pattern goes where and (b)how you keep it within that area, do you mark it or is it all by eyeball? I find your quilting tiotally inspirational!

Vicki said...

What a great video! Thank you so much, you sure make it look easy.

Mara said...

I like the relaxed nature of your QAL, and totally understand and empathize about how life just sometimes gets in the way ;)

Ann D said...

Hi Jess,
I haven't done any quilting yet, have other projects to complete first but I have my sandwich ready. I have tried to save your posts which have the various stitches. Here's my list:
stitch in the ditch
swirls
maze
spiral
feathers

Did I miss anything? The chevron pattern has 5 bands so I thought I might see a fifth filler design. What are you doing for the background area at the top and bottom?

deso said...

leur explication Dolabuy Bottega Veneta En savoir plus ici Dolabuy Louis Vuitton pourquoi ne pas vérifier ici Dior Dolabuy

Unknown said...

article source h4h24l5p29 replica designer bags wholesale replica bags supplier replica bags bangkok fake gucci h7v98p8a01 replica kipling bags replica evening bags visit their website j4v12y5r32 replica bags philippines greenhills