Monday 7 April 2014

Marcelle goes Retro

Over the next couple of months, I will be teaching a wonderful group of ladies how to make a Marcelle Medallion quilt at one of my local fabric shops, Frangipani Fabrics. I taught my first class on Saturday and although I was ridiculously nervous about it, it was a really fun afternoon. Each of my students has chosen a completely different palette and it is going to be so much fun watching them all grow. Since I enjoyed making the first one so much, I've decided to make a second Marcelle along the course of my classes.

I wanted this second one to be completely different from the first, so I've chosen a really autumnal, retro kind of palette - lots of reds, oranges and yellows along with browns. I'm going to use the really pale blues for my background fabrics, which I think will work quite well. My initial fabric pull looks something like this (although I'm sure it will evolve slightly over the course of making the quilt).



I have partially pieced the centre star - I'm teaching the foundation paper pieced method I used in my first quilt, just to avoid all the y-seams and templates involved in the proper method (and because, you know, I love paper piecing!). Every fabric in here is a favorite, and I'm really excited about where it's heading.


So although this will be left on the backburner for the next week or so while I finish quilting my Maple Leaf quilt, I'll be slowly putting it together over the next couple of months (and hopefully entering it in this year's Island Quilts show - a major first for me.)

xx Jess

18 comments:

Renee said...

I look forward to seeing this come together! It's not a color palette I would choose, but I think the fabrics you chose are lovely and work really well together!

Carol said...

I love the fabric too and I can see why you're paper piecing!

Anonymous said...

A blue background sounds (and so far looks) awesome!

Susie said...

One day I WILL make this quilt. I adore your fabric choices.

Newbie Jen said...

love the start, can't wait to see its evolution

ipatchandquilt said...

Love your idea, yummy fabrics!!!
Esther
esthersipatchandquilt at yahoo com
ipatchandquilt dot wordpress dot com

Heather @ Winding Bobbins said...

Such gorgeous fabrics and colour choices Jess!

DeborahGun said...

have fun teaching Jess - looks wonderful :-)

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Oh this is going to be stunning! Congratulations again on the teaching and so pleased the class went well :)

Charlotte said...

so excited for you about the teaching! The quilt is going to be a stunner :-D

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

I'm so glad the first class went well! I have been asked about teaching and it freaked me out!

Leanne said...

What a fun class to teach!

Hilary said...

I'm really excited to see how this turns out! I'm loving the colors so far :)

Katy Cameron said...

Wow, that's quite some undertaking for a class, but I'm sure you'll all have a wonderful time :o)

Mrs Flying Blind... said...

Wow going to be great to see a whole class full of MMs!!

Have fun xxx

Patti said...

Aw, Jess, you make me want to do another one! Love your fabric choices!

Unknown said...

Hi Jess
Is there a pattern for this star block. I love it.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE those colours. I love blue and orange together, and bue and brown. It looks like the start of something very beautiful.