Thursday 8 August 2013

Forest QAL quilt top

I don't often have quilty ideas that keep me awake at night - but this was one of them. Back in March, I started making the first few blocks in the Forest QAL, hosted by Julianna and Joanna. Other projects got in the way and I only ended up making three of the twelve blocks. The QAL finishes up at the end of this month, when finished projects using one or more of the blocks can be linked up.

I've been trying to figure out for a couple of weeks how I wanted to use the blocks I've made. As I was trying to get to sleep on Tuesday night, inspiration struck, and I spent a bit of time yesterday planning out how to go about it. So last night, after a few sketches and a fabric pull, I put together a quilt top.


Apologies for the dodgy photo ;o) I started off by piecing sashing around each of the blocks, attempting to make them look like pages ripped out of a sketchbook. I then did a bit of improv piecing using a variety of chocolate brown fabrics, attempting to make them look as though they're sitting on a desk. I *think* it works? I'm considering adding some more brown to the top and bottom to make it square rather than rectangular, although I'm pretty happy with how it looks as is.

I'm extremely excited about quilting this one! No real idea about exactly how I will approach it, but I think it's going to be fun :o)

xx Jess

23 comments:

Susan said...

What an interesting arrangement! I look forward to seeing it come alive with your wonderful quilting!

CJ said...

It's lovely. These are some of my absolute favourite blocks, and you've done them beautifully.

DeborahGun said...

such a fun idea - looking forward to seeing it all finished. Those blocks look so complicated!

Vicki said...

I love night time inspiration! Such a fun idea.

Kristy @ Quiet Play said...

Love it! Makes for a really interesting way to display the blocks!

Leanne said...

What a great idea, I am looking forward to seeing it all finished.

Charlotte said...

definitely looks like pages - great idea!

Jess @ Scrappy n Happy said...

Great idea! I look forward to seeing how you quilt it!

Nicky said...

Woodgrain quilting and feathers spring to my mind! Have fun!

Lucy | Charm About You said...

I was actually thinking about those blocks the other day - the look so beautiful, I agree woodgrain would look cool. I honestly thought you'd thrown down the blocks at first, not sewn them together so I think it's amazing!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Jess! Your idea is fantastic! I'm sure this will be beautiful and unique! I have spent also many nights thinking and planning my Forest quilt which is almost finished. x Teje

Ella said...

Your quilting always blows me away. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Adrianne @ On the Windy Side said...

Love this idea Jess! Can't wait to see how you quilt this!

MsMidge said...

Very tricky!

Jessica said...

Love the pages effect!! Great idea :) And that AMH print works perfectly!

Beth said...

That is such a great idea making them look like pages from a scrapbook. I also seem to always get my quilt inspiration while trying to go to sleep.

Amy Friend said...

Nice! I really like it! I am sure your quilting will be top notch too!

Heather D. said...

So fun and unique Jess. Your quilting is sure to be stunning!

traditional_quilter said...

What a cute quilt top! Awesome job, I love your blocks.

Jennifer said...

You could carry the desk theme through the quilting and add wood grain and a cup of pencils and paints, etc. I like it.

Susan at TheBoredZombie.com said...

Nice approach! What a great way to use them. :)

jeifner said...

Love your blocks. It'll be fun to see how you end up quilting it :)

Unknown said...

Jessica, I like your blog and loved it on blogionaire.com